Friday, March 25, 2011

Ireland "Slainte!" Part 1

Welcome to my longest blogpost to date. Several hours of work and a two part series to come so if you want to read this whole post buckle up, grab some coffee, and get a comfy chair cause its a doozy.

Well when I realized I was going to be in Europe during Saint Patrick's Day I naturally decided that I had to make that happen. So while my family was back home doing this...


I was prepping for my first big personal trip out here in Europe. On a side note my family is coming to visit on Sunday for a week and I could not be more excited. The timing couldn't be any more perfect. I've hit a point where I'm a little home sick for certain things and I miss my family so knowing they will be here in two short days makes me so happy. 

And now back to my trip.

So it began the night of the 15th and I was traveling with a good friend of mine Alex. We were going to travel together and once we reached Ireland he was going to head off to Limerick to spend a few days with his girlfriend and I was going to Galway to meet up with some friends who I havent seen in over a year. 

So we left Granada at 9:00 pm and got to Malaga bus station by around 10:30. We relaxed for a few hours and went to a bar to grab some food and drinks before heading to the airport. We got to the airport at 12:30 and as we looked around at our home for the night, we had the terrible realization that there was absolutely nowhere comfortable to sleep. So our sleeping accommodations looked something like this...


I tried just about everything from the tile floor to lying over the arm of the bench but in reality I think I may have slept about twenty minutes total that night. And when you are severely sleep deprived you tend to find amusement in the littlest things. For example...


Honestly, I still think thats really cool. 

So anywho we spend the night in our luxurious accommodations and around 5am security finally opens up and we drag our butts through. If you think going through security is hairy normally, try doing it when the very serious TSA officers all speak a different language. So we get through security and head to our gate but it hasn't opened yet so we spend another few hours in the creepily empty airport. 

And some more over tired amusement..






Finally we hop on the plane and about 3 hours later we touch down in the mother land. And when I stepped off the plane onto the runway it felt exactly how I expected Ireland to feel. 


Honestly, it was just so beautiful and it felt so right being here.




So after snapping a few shots we head into the airport and Alex was able to snag a bus quick, we said our goodbyes and he headed off to Limerick. Unfortunately I had missed the bus to Galway by 2 mins so I had to wait another hour and initially my plan was to land in Galway, grab a bus, and meet up with my friends to go to the Cliffs of Mohr but needless to say I didn't quite make it in time. 

So I arrived in Galway around 2 o clock and stepped off the bus excited but exhausted.


Eeyre Square, a nice open quad that's filled with people all day. Really reminded me of some of the quads back at PSU.







I decided to stop in a small pub to have my first Guinness in Ireland. And of course took a picture to commemorate the occasion. I had no idea how much better a Guinness would taste but it was a whole different experience in Ireland. Just watching the whole process of pouring it, letting it sit for a few minutes, then topping it off is an experience in itself. 



This was the kind of main street that ended with Quay street (pronounced "Key") where my hostel was at.


Barnacles was rated one of the best in Galway and was very reasonably priced. And for my first hostel experience it was awesome, very clean, great people, great staff, and GREAT location. Literally right in the heart of an area where there are countless pubs, stores, and Irish fun to be had. 

So I went in the hostel, checked in and took a nap because somehow I wasn't feeling to rested after my 20 minute nap the night before. So after that I was talking with my friends about meeting up at a pub but they were exhausted from their day trips and were going to stay in but seeing as how I only had a few days in Ireland I wanted to make the most of it so I went out to a pub called Taffes. 


Now my brother had said to me if I want a genuine Irish experience, just go find any pub that's full of people that are laughing a lot and you'll be good to go. So that's exactly what I did. After my first Guinness I started talking to the three Irish people sitting next to me. And for the next 3 hours I had the most genuine, fulfilling Irish experience that you could ever imagine. Exactly what I had hoped for but it was so much better than I expected. 

I talked most of the night with this Irish girl Emer. She spent most of the night imparting all kinds of Irish wisdom on me and after seeing how the Irish carry themselves and the things they hold close to their hearts, I couldn't be more proud to be Irish.

Now to give you an idea of Emer, she is a bartender in Ireland and a tiny girl. So I asked her what beer to get and in her thick Irish accent she told me very clearly, "The only beer worth gettin is a Guinness, and you wont have a better Guinness anywhere else in the world than you will here." So naturally I took her advice and was very happy with my decision. Guinness is a completely different experience in Ireland. So I wanted to get to know my new friend a little more so I asked how many Guinnesses would it take her to get drunk? She calmly replied 12. 12 Guinnesses. Ill be honest I was a little bit intimidated then she decides to follow up that statement with, "And I can finish a pint in 4 seconds." After picking my jaw up off the floor we continued our conversation.

At one point she took the last sip of her drink but left a small amount of Guinness in the bottom of the glass. So jokingly I said, "Oh what you can't finish your beer?" And she replied, "It's for the spirits." I said, "The spirits?" Then she proceeded to explain to me this bit of Irish folklore. When you're drinking your beer you leave a little in your glass for the spirits, and the spirits are anyone who was taken before their time, anyone whose gone and on your mind, anyone who you miss. You leave that little bit of beer for them so that way when your out havin a pint, its not all about drinking. It's just a small way to keep the important people in your life in your heart and mind. So my next Guinness I left some for the spirits in my life. 

Then as the night went on the very expensive Guinnesses did some work on my wallet and as I was digging in my pocket for some change Emer looked at me with a smile and said, "Are ya havin trouble findin some coppers?" And I nodded then she said, "Would ya like me to find some coppers for ya?" And I graciously accepted her offer. Then she said to me, "Now I only do this in the hopes that you will buy someone a pint when they need it most but dont have the coppers for it." So I promised her I would and I fully intend to do so when the situation presents itself. I was just loving hearing the way she lived her life and how she approached it. She said she would talk to anyone in the streets, stop and have a chat with a complete stranger for no reason, and she said she always smiles. At one point she said, "You can change someones life with a smile." I literally was just blown away by all the knowledge she was dropping on me and I loved every second of it. It also made me realize how very Irish I am because I love meeting new people, having conversations, and looking for the best in life. 

So as the night went on Emer and her friends went out to smoke at one point and she asked me to watch her stuff I said sure no problem and I said, "Hey what would you do if I drank your beer while you were out?" And she turned around, grinned and said, "Oh I'd tell ya to f*** right off." I normally would exclude curses from my blog but I feel like only the direct quote did this particular scenario justice. As sweet of a girl as she was you don't mess with her Guinness or you're going to have a very upset Irish lady on your hands. 

And before I continue discussing the conversation I need to explain to you the atmosphere of Taffes. It was a tiny little Irish pub that was packed by 10pm. Filled wall to wall with people talking loudly, laughing, and smiling. And the cherry on top of it all was they had a band playing traditional Irish music from 9-12. So basically the entire time I was there I had this overwhelming Irish sensation washing over me. Guinness in my hand, the violin and guitar filling the air, and everyone singing along with these traditional Irish songs. Literally could not have been a more perfect Irish experience. And the most interesting part about it was that it was exactly what I had wanted but it was so much better than I ever could have imagined. 


I didn't want to snap too many pictures but I had to to show you all just how awesome it really was. It didn't have the conventional crowded bar feel that I'm used to. In the states when its crowded people get antsy and there usually tends to be some tension when people are bumping each other but here it was nothing but smiles and common courtesy for your fellow man. 


In the corner there is the band and they were incredible. Lively, upbeat, and they played such amazing music. If they had a CD I would have bought it without a second thought. And something that added to the experience was the fact that I was sitting right at the bar. Because of that when it got really crowded I basically became a temporary bartender. Passing drinks, passing the money to the bartender and the change to the customer, and every time being thanked in typical Irish fashion with either "Thanks a million" or "Cheers". In fact I had a great deal of conversations start solely based on the fact that I had been nice enough to hand someone their drink so they didn't have to stretch to reach it. One woman even said, "I hope their payin ya for all the help your givin them".

Now I just wanted to give you guys the virtual experience so take a look at the picture, play this song, close your eyes and you can pretty much picture exactly what it was like.



Now prior to Ireland would I have had anything like this on my Itunes or Ipod? No but after being there and seeing what an amazing beautiful place it is, I might need to get some of this music on there to bring back those wonderful memories. 

So on went the night and I had planned to have 2 or 3 Guinnesses and call it a night because I was so exhausted but every time I finished another drink (and left some for the spirits) Id look at Emer and say "Should I get another?" And she would reply without hesitation "Of course your in Ireland!" Naturally I had to keep going I had to show my home country that I still had true Irish blood running deep in my veins. And when I would say something like, "I dont know if I want to spend any more money tonight." Emer would get me with a line like, "Ah, theres no adventure in ya!" So naturally I would get another. 

As the conversation went on they all asked me where I was staying and I said a hostel tonight, with my friends the following night, then Id have  to figure out the next two nights probly just stay in another hostel. They said, "A hostel? No you're staying with us." Literally they made this offer about 20 minutes into the conversation, gave me their numbers, Emer even offered to let me have her bed since she was heading out of town for the weekend. I really cant put into words how genuinely good these people are. And I can honestly say Ive never been more proud to be Irish after seeing and hearing all these things. And after quite a few Guinnesses *cough* 8 *cough* it was time to call it a night. Emer and I had some very deep talks and she said to me, "I normally wouldn't offer my bed to anyone but I can tell you've got a good heart. Im a very good judge of character and I can see in your eyes your an honest person." Really was just such an amazing thing for her to say and I appreciated it so much. So as she and he friends were leaving she made sure that I had her phone number, email, and to tell me if I needed anything to not hesitate to get in touch with her. Then with a smile and a kiss on the cheek she headed out with her friends. As I sat there and finished off the rest of my drink I just had this overwhelming joyful feeling swirling around inside me. It was a mix of Irish pride, pure bliss, and probly a little bit of booze that came together to make me feel incredible. It's a rare feeling when you are so overwhelmed with happiness that it feels like its emanating from your body but it might be the best feeling in the world, true, uninhibited joy.


So I head back to the streets and head back to my hostel for a night of sleep. 

I was surprised to find out the bars usually close around 11 or 12 because in Spain clubs and pubs stay open LATE. Pubs usually till around 3 or 4 and clubs until around 7am. But I made the mistake of insinuating that Spanish people might party harder than Irish people and Emer very quickly corrected me saying, "You cant compare the seasoned drinkers of Ireland with anyone else. They come to the pub and start drinking at 11am and drink the whole day till the pub closes. They need to close them earlier otherwise these people would never leave." And I quickly realized that those early hours were more for peoples safety rather than lack of party intensity. 

So I get a decent nights sleep but wake up still feeling exhausted. But it was Saint Patrick's Day in Ireland so the adrenaline quickly took over. I had communicated with my friends the night before to meet at 10 30am to get ready for the day. But I was up at 9 and ready to rock. So i went to take a shower and got into the shower at the hostel and was a little confused because I didn't see a temperature control so I guessed that the water probably just came out at a warm temperature. Oh how wrong I was. Ice, ICE cold. Literally the fastest shower of my life and I think I might have even gotten a little cardio workout with how fast I was scrubbing my body. So after my ice bath shower Im getting all my things together and talking to everyone in the hostel. I was in a room of 12 people and it was awesome to see where everyone was from. In my room we had Virginia, Minnesota, Australia, Canada, and a few others. The 2 Australian guys were brothers who just decided to up and backpack around Europe which I thought was awesome. If me and Evan could we absolutely would do the same thing. (For those of you who don't know Evan is my brother).

So I hit the streets on SPD morning and was surprised at how empty the streets were. Emer had told me to get to a bar by 11 and go the whole day from there. Oh and I forgot one other bit of Irish knowledge she imparted to me. I asked what drink I should get next at one point and she said, "If you want to have a good night, you pick one drink and stick with it until a set time, lets say 11. At 11 you can make a decision and move to your next drink but until then you stay with what you've got." I liked the idea and it does make sense. Stick to one drink you know what your dealing with, your not mixing, and all around I just was captivated by all the things she was saying. 


Eeyre Square was completely empty at this hour in the mornin.


Since I didnt know where to go to get a traditional Irish breakfast (which consists of about 3 pounds of meat and potatoes) so I went to Quiznos. We dont have Quiznos or Subway in Spain and they are two of my favorites back home so I indulged. While I was there, there was a disk jockey set up in the Quiznos because it looked right out on Eeyre Square and where the parade was going to pass by so he had a little area blocked off and security around him. 


I hear him start talking about the "Hug Monster" and at first I dismissed it until I heard him say, "That's right folks its Saint Patricks Day and in the typical Irish fashion we are going to open our arms to each other and all our visitors today here in Ireland. As you know the Irish our known for being inviting and friendly and often giving out random hugs but today if you hug the right person you will win 1000 euro!" I probly should have given more random hugs cause I really could use an extra 1000 euro in the bank.

After my "traditional" Irish breakfast I walked over to Lauren's apartment. Now Ill just give a little background here. One of my best girlfriends is a girl named Elyse and her best friend Lauren is studying abroad in Galway so Elyse decided to come visit for a week. They were nice enough to offer to have me come up and spend the night with them so of course I jumped at the offer. I hadnt seen either of them for over a year so it was hugely exciting to be reuniting in Ireland after all that time. So I got to Laurens apt and we went from there to the parade.

Now the parade was fun but ultimately just another parade, nothing to revolutionary but still a lot of fun. I got to meet a bunch of Lauren's friends from her study abroad program and we joked and laughed the whole time. 


The streets were a lot more crowded when we headed back out to get to the parade.





And this is how they kicked it all off.




Curling meets the Halloween movies. 


Dont really know what this was but it was really cool.



A shot of me and Elyse at the parade, reunited after over a year.










Just awesome. 


This mighta been my favorite costume I saw in the whole parade. 





Whats crazy is when you are walking down the street look over and see that the building right next to you is over 800 years old. To try and wrap your head around the fact that this building is hundreds of years older than your own country is damn near impossible. 



So after freezing for awhile we decided to leave the parade and take shelter in one of Galways lovely pubs. I believe it was called the Lions Head and we stayed there for the next 4 hours or so. 


A picture of me, Elyse, and Lauren at the pub where we spent a good portion of SPD.

Now you probably notice that Im wearing a tiny green Irish hat in the picture above. To answer your question no its not mine  but one of Laurens friends didnt want to wear it anymore so I gladly took over for awhile. And people loved it so that sparked some random pictures with lots of Irish people that Id never met. For example.



So we were posted up in a booth in the corner of the pub and just talked, drank, and tried to take in the fact that we were all actually sitting in a pub in Ireland on Saint Patricks Day. 

Also I forgot to mention my shirt. I had a nice button down shirt to wear for SPD but I decided that I needed something a little more laid back so in the morning I went out and bought this shirt. It says "slainte" which is the Gaelic word for health. They use it as "cheers" when their drinking much like people say "salud" in Spanish. I was very excited about the shirt and cant wait to wear it all around Spain.


I became very aware of a certain fact while I was in Ireland... I look REALLY Irish. Not to say I didnt know that already but after about the 5th or 6th time I got asked for directions it really drove home the fact that this place was my home. Not only would people ask me for directions they would be looking around frazzled and confused, see me and heave a big sigh of relief like saying, "Oh thank God hes DEFINITELY Irish" then I would see their dismay when they heard a New Jersey accent come out of my mouth and not the smooth melodic Irish accent they were hoping for. 

One of my favorite encounters was when I was walking back from the bathroom and some Irish people commented on my hat so I stood and talked to them for a bit. And at one point the guy laughed and smiled and said, "Lad we know your from here, you can stop doing the fake accent." They literally thought I was doing a fake American accent. It took about three minutes of talking before they were convinced that I did not hail from the Emerald Isle but I thought it was hilarious. 





Some of Lauren's friends and roommates.


When you order a Guinness in Ireland youre gonna be waiting for it for a few minutes because they pour it about three quarters full let it sit and you just watch the foam slowly recede then they top it off to give your beer the perfect head. In fact there is even a proper way to pour a Guinness and if you take the tour of the Guinness factory in Dublin they teach you how and give you a certificate. I didnt get a chance to make it over to Dublin but a couple of my friends did the tour and said it was great. 

So after a couple hours and meeting a bunch of new people we decided we wanted a change of scenery so we headed out to the streets.




And yes, they have a little alleyway called Buttermilk Lane and yes we walked it. 

So we went and got some food then headed back to the apartment to regroup before heading out for the night and I asked Lauren if I could check my emails real quick. Normally I get 3 to 4 emails per day here in Spain so when I saw 16 new messages I was a little surprised to say the least. Naturally several of them were very important so they had to be answered immediately but fortunately I was able to get it done through a mild Guinness haze and continue with my night.

We went out to a bar called the Quays streets across from the hostel I stayed in the first night. And on the outside it looked fairly small but it turned out to be absolutely HUGE.



The band was good but not nearly as good as the one the night before at Taafes.

So the night carried on and afterwards we went to a club called Coyotes. Now normally I love clubs, love  the music, and love the dancing but honestly if you gave me a choice in Ireland whether to go to a pub or a club, pub would win hands down. Not to say the clubs aren't good its just I cant imagine why you would want to be in a club when that true Irish experience is waiting for you just down the street. It seems to me clubs kind of have the same feel where ever you go. Different venues, sizes, decorations, sure but it seems to me a club is a club pretty much anywhere you go. And to be honest I prefer the clubs in Spain they are a blast.

I love the mentality at the pubs in Ireland. Its just about coming out and being with other people, conversing, laughing, and sharing stories. Something I was thinking about in all this was how when you are in a new place you tend to think everything is perfect or everything is better. You will hear people come back from trips and say how everything is better "over there" everyones happy and people say I really want to live like them or adopt there customs but the reality of  situation is no matter where you are in the world people are still living life. Life has ups and downs, unexpected turns, and surprises no matter where you live and the more time you spend traveling the more you realize how everyone on this planet goes through many of the same things on a day to day basis. I think whats important is to not change everything you do and adopt a completely different lifestyle, I think the best way to experience these things is to apply the good things you observe from a culture to your life and still maintain your own culture individuality. Dont become something completely different just keep working on becoming a new, better you.

So as the night went on we decided it was time to call it a night and headed back to Laurens apt for some much needed rest. I curled up on the couch which was generously provided by Lauren and fell right to sleep. I needed some rest because the next day I was taking a trip to the Cliffs of Moher. 

In the morning I woke up and hung out with Lauren and Elyse for awhile as I was packing my things getting ready to head out. Honestly that was another of my favorite parts of the trip, just hanging with them and talking in the morning because we got to just relax, joke, and laugh together. During SPD we were running around all day and trying  to meet up with people so we didnt have any serious down time and it was nice to just chill and laugh it up. Since the bus was going to be leaving soon I had to head out so I gave both of them a big hug and headed off for my next adventure in Ireland. It was crazy seeing them both after so long and its unfortunate that it ended so quickly but hopefully it wont be another year and a half before I see them both again.

At one point Elyse said to me, "I cant believe Im standing next to you, its kind of surreal." And I completely agreed. Its funny when you get used to communicating with someone almost entirely via the internet and then you finally see each other again it almost doesnt feel real. Thats why it is so important to make the effort to see your good friends because nothing compares to face to face interaction. Throughout my life my parents have told me that it becomes more of a challenge to stay in touch with close friends as life goes. People move away, get jobs, have families, but what is truly important is to always make the effort to see your friends. Next to your family they are the most important people in your life and you should never neglect that fact. I miss my buddies back home but they all are supporting me through the ups and downs and I cant wait till the next time I see them all again.

Now onto the Cliffs of Moher.

This was one of my brother's favorite spots in Ireland and I am so glad I spent the money and took the trip because it was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen in my life. It started a bit cloudy but cleared up into a perfect day in Ireland. Green, bright, and beautiful. 




An awesome castle that was just on the side of the road on the way to the cliffs.






Random llama farm on the way. Apparently the llamas wool is about 3-4 times as valuable as sheeps wool so this guy makes some pretty good money.


My first traditional Irish meal at the pit stop. Some chicken, potatoes, and vegetables and it was absolutely delicious. Wish I had had the chance to take in more of the Irish cuisine.




My first look at the cliffs.





The "Restricted Area" sign that no one obeys. When you hop the wall you can go right up to the edge of the cliff and look down the over 600 foot sheer drop.







An absolutely gorgeous day in Ireland.


Im trying to include more videos in my posts because I feel like it adds a lot and helps everyone back home really see what Im doin over here in Europe. 


Looking down over the edge was surreal you really couldnt even grasp how far away the water was until you saw a seagull that looked like a speck flying down near the waters surface.



Truly one of the most beautiful things Ive ever seen.


A side note, I found out a fun little factoid about the cliffs, turns out the opening scene of the movie Inception was filmed at the cliffs when Leonardo Dicaprio washes up on the beach.



I had to make sure I got Penn State immortalized in one of these pics.




As you can see we were able to get right up to the edge of the cliff.



When you looked straight down over the edge you would get that weak feeling in your knees and something I talked with other people on the trip about was the fact that this isnt the "Im on a rollercoaster kind of thrill". On a rollercoaster that "fear/excitement" you feel is not really real because you know youre safely strapped into the chair. Here, your life is literally in your own hands, you fall there is no safety net or strap holding you back, it really is kind of an amazing feeling.


I decided I wanted to embrace that feeling and stick my feet over the edge with the 600 foot drop beneath me. I did make sure they took the picture quick.





Ireland in all its glory.


I cant thank God enough for how perfect that day was. 







Some friends from the states who I met on the bus. We explored the cliffs together. 







So after the hour and a half at the cliffs we headed back. Honestly I wish we had had two or three hours because there was so much to see. I just wanted to keep walking and walking all the way to the end to see it all from every angle. I also didnt get to go over to the small castle thats on the trail to the right but I did see it from a distance and get some shots of it. 

So after an hour and a half bus ride back I arrived back in Galway beyond exhausted without a place to stay for the night so I went on the search. 

Now one big misconception that I had and I think many people do about study abroads is that you will never be in a bad mood. In past semesters when I talked to people who were studying abroad and they would tell me they were havin a bad day I would be incredulous. "Hows that possible?! Youre in __________ (insert name of exciting study abroad country)" and they would say for one reason or another why but I didnt understand. And during the first three weeks here I dont think I stopped smiling so I never thought I would hit that point but something you come to realize when you travel is that you are still living life abroad. Its not like you are taking a time out from real life you are just changing locations. For that reason you can make mistakes, you can hurt people, you can miss people and be missed, you can have regrets even when you do everything in your power not to. Life abroad is still life, and there are times where it is hard. You miss your family, you are stuck in a foreign city with nowhere to stay and feeling very alone, or you did something that you regret and wish you could have done differently. 

What I think is important to understand is that its okay to feel these feelings. Sometimes you feel like your nuts for feeling bad, you're thinking "Im in Spain I should be having a blast every second of every day" and yes that should be the goal, but that wont always be the case. You get tired, sick, worn down, and it is just important to step back and say to yourself that you know its alright, that things will turn around if you just give it a little time. I was talking to a friend and I think she said it the best. She said when Im feeling down or out of sorts I just need to listen to my body and whatever it needs I give it to it. Whether it be exercise, sleep, or a big ole Gelato I need to just listen to what my body needs. 

While youre abroad you have these realizations and sometimes you freak out. Like the other day when I realized were more than half way done with the program I had a bit of a "mid study abroad crisis" and was just thinking how I wont be able to visit all the places I want and how I only have 2 more months to do everything I want to and that is honestly kind of scary. At the beginning of the 4 months you think you have all the time in the world to travel, meet new people, and have all these experiences but when those first two months blow by you realize how fast it goes and you get nervous your not going to get everything in that you want. What I am trying to keep in mind is that I still do have a great deal of time I just need to take advantage of every minute. Dont just think about the things I want, do them. If there was something I was curious about or wanted to try Im trying to just do it and make it happen. I wanna be the catalyst in my life that keeps all the good experiences coming. 

I just wanted to talk a bit about all that because I hit a point in Ireland that was one of my lowest lows in my trip and I thought a lot about this whole experience and what Im hoping to get from it. So Im walking around Galway and I went to 4-5 different hostels and all of them were sold out. I was tired just wanted a nap more than anything but had nowhere to go. I was cold, tired, in need of a shower, and unable to have any of those things. So finally I found a hostel and it was a little pricy but probably the only bed left in Galway for a weary traveler. Literally minutes after I said Id take the room someone called asking for a room and the guy said he had just sold his last one. So I went to the room and it was a quad that I was sharing with 3 Australian girls. They were funny, lively, upbeat, and they busted on each other non stop. We got along great. 

So I took a brief nap and against my better instincts went out to try and have some fun but I was just far too tired and out of it to really take advantage of everything Galway had to offer. I also had a lot on my mind and didnt have anyone to really talk it out with. Anyone who knows me knows that if I have an issue or a problem the way I deal with it is by talking it out and when I dont have that option it makes things kind of hard for me. I really was just feeling lonely, I wanted a friend or someone I knew to be there but didnt have anyone right there by my side. So I really had to force myself to get up and go out. I bounced from bar to bar and Im glad I did it so I at least got to see a bunch of the different pubs and clubs in Ireland but I wasnt really enjoying myself. It was one of those nights I wasnt feeling the urge to go meet new people and the exhaustion kept setting in. Finally when a guy bumped me and spilled half my Guinness onto the sleeve of my shirt I realized maybe this was Gods way of saying "Just head home champ, tomorrows another day." So I went back to the hostel and climbed in bed. Then around 1, one of the girls came back and we had a nice long talk about a bunch of different things so that helped a bit but I still had stuff on my mind. Then around 2 the other girls burst in all jacked up from partying and they told me theyd been looking for me and went to the places I recommended. In retrospect I probably just should have asked to go out with them cause they were a fun group. 

So the next morning I ate breakfast with them then we said our goodbyes I checked out and back to the streets. 

Now unfortunately the blog isnt letting me add more pictures so Im gonna publish this portion and then right about the rest of my trip and my visit to the Aran Islands in a following post so I can add pictures because I feel like the pictures add so much to the overall posts. Also I realize this post is exceptionally long so I hope you have a big ole chunk of free time to take all this in.









No comments :

Post a Comment